The RequirementsThe ideal candidate for this role will be patient, persistent, polite and punctual. Additionally, to be a strong fit for this opportunity you will have:
- A bachelor’s degree in an Engineering, IT or Computer Science discipline is preferred.
- 5 years of hands on programming and controls experience in a related field or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Prior experience with Allen-Bradley Logix (RockWell) and Siemens.
- Experience with JIT and value-added assembly for the automotive industry is highly preferred.
- Proficiency in the development and management of process control solutions, from collecting data through the design, configuration, and integration processes.
- Competency in programming and the development / implementation of engineering guidelines and standards.
- Experience with Vision Camera systems.
- Good mechanical / technical skills, proficient aptitude with computer programs.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Demonstrated leadership abilities and organizational skills.
- A sense of urgency and strong self-motivation.
The RoleReporting to the Advanced Manufacturing (AM) Controls Manager, as AM Controls Engineer you will ensure incoming equipment and controls are up to our quality standards and programmed correctly. You’ll provide ongoing support to our seven different facilities, ensuring all controls are running smoothly in order to meet our customers' launch deadlines. We currently have awarded businesses from some of the biggest automotive manufacturers in the world, and our commodities range from overhead systems to suspensions.
This is not a role where you’ll always need to be on the floor in front of the equipment--instead--you’ll be able to do your work from your computer since the majority of our controls are tied to the network. When you are not working from an office, you’ll provide hands-on support in the various assembly areas, responding to issues and minimizing downtime. You'll also support design, programming and continuous improvement activities.
The equipment you'll handle includes multiple robots, machines, cameras, servos, HMIs, torque tools and more, controlled by multiple PLCs. You’ll have the opportunity to work on the 700+ assets we have in total!
Your key areas of responsibility will be to:
- Develop setup and maintain a corporate standard related to Machine Controls (PLCS) that will be used throughout Dakkota.
- Recommend and implement policies, and lead best practices efforts.
- Ensure PLC programs are in compliance with state and federal laws, and regulations.
- Affect audit process to validate compliance to the standard.
- Lead and Monitor Dakkota standards relate to Torque process with the latest trending on the relevant technologies and methods to enhance projects performances.
- Lead and Monitor Dakkota standards relate to Vision process with the latest trending on the relevant technologies and methods to enhance projects performances.
- Lead and Monitor Dakkota standards relate to Robotic process with the latest trending on the relevant technologies and methods to enhance projects performances.
- Perform system design, programming, simulation and testing, of new and existing programs.
- Lead and maintain Web based factory view software package that link all Dakkota location into a central data base.
- Lead / approve and support all programing changes at all facilities for new and current programs.
- Support Departmental Budgets activities.
- Update Department Managers on progress of projects.
- Support new business quotes, as required.
- Enhance the Launch Readiness process through lessons learned.
- Document all activities as required.
- Adhere to all company guidelines for Emergency Evacuation to ensure employee safety.
- Any additional responsibility deemed necessary by management.
Why DakkotaVisible impact -- your skill and response time will be critical to our operations. You will have the opportunity to make a visible impact that will be noticed and appreciated.
Career development-- we hire with an eye to the future, and history shows that strong performers can move up in our organization. Depending on your background, success in this role could lead to additional opportunities within Corporate, Holt or another plant. There are multiple paths available, depending upon your unique skills, ambition, training and education.
Excellent compensation -- in addition to competitive pay and overtime opportunities, we offer excellent benefits. Our benefits include comprehensive and affordable medical, dental, and vision insurance programs; a 401(k) plan with company match; flexible spending accounts; educational opportunities (see below); company-paid employee life insurance and short-term disability insurance; paid holidays and vacations and more.
Educational opportunities -- once you join us, you will go through our Dakkota University Training program, which includes curriculum on:
- Safety Training
- Dakkota Vision and Culture
- Departmental Training
- Company Training
Value-driven company -- Dakkota CEO Andra Rush has created companies that do more than generate profit: they impact the local community and economy by providing training and putting Americans to work. Rush was honored by President Obama in his State of the Union address in January 2014, along with GM CEO Mary Barra, for demonstrating the "strength of our work ethic and the scope of our dreams."
Building community, creating jobs -- at Dakkota we strive to enhance the communities where we live and work by being environmentally and socially responsible and ensuring fair and equitable employment. We provide multiple opportunities for employees to make a positive impact on their community by devoting volunteer hours and resources to local charities, as you can see in the pictures here. We're always looking for new ways to make a difference. Our employees have supported organizations like the United Way, Salvation Army, and Autism Speaks, as well as local food banks and schools.
Great environment -- you will find a collaborative culture at Dakkota in which people enjoy working together toward common goals. In fact, we have vision and culture committees to help clarity and communicate those values. We are also strongly committed to diversity and have been awarded the Michigan Minority Supplier Development Console (MMSDC) Supplier of the Year Award the last three years. We also celebrate with birth announcements, seasonal picnics and parties, employee service awards, and more.
Award winning -- you will work for a highly respected, award-winning company. Consider our many accolades:
- 2016 Michigan Minority Supplier of the Year (MMSDC)
- 2015 National Minority Supplier of the Year (NMSDC)
- 2015 GM Supplier of the Year
- 2014 Michigan Minority Supplier of the Year (MMSDC)
- 2014 GM Supplier Quality Excellence Award
- 2014 GM Supplier of the Year
- 2013 GM CCA Platinum Shipping Award
- 2013 Ford World Excellence Silver Award - Headliners
- 2013 Ford World Excellence Award - Diverse Supplier of the Year
- 2013 General Motors Supplier of the Year
- 2013 Chrysler Group Supplier of the Year - World Class Manufacturing
- 2013 Chrysler Group Supplier of the Year - Quality
- 2013 Michigan Minority Supplier of the Year (MMSDC)
- 2012 Michigan Minority Supplier of the Year (MMSDC)
- 2012 Chrysler's World Class Manufacturing (wCM) for Suppliers Program
- 2010 Ford World Excellence Award - Diverse Supplier of the Year
- 2010 Ford World Excellence Award - Community Service Award
- 2009 Ford World Excellence Award - Cooling Module
- 2008 Ford Q1 for all Applicable Dakkota Locations
- 2008 Selected as Ford ABF Strategic Supplier
- 2007 National Minority Supplier of the Year
- 2007 Awarded Best Chrysler Modular Cockpit Launch - 2008 RT
- 2006 Michigan Minority Supplier of the Year (MMSDC)
- 2005 General Motors Interior of the Year award for Cadillac STS
- 2003 Interior Automotive Worldwide Launch of the Year, 2002 for Cadillac CTS Complete Interior
- 2002 GM Shop Floor Excellence - Rated Best in Class
Keys to SuccessTo excel in this role you will be a self-motivated, quick thinker who can thrive in a fast-paced environment. You’ll need to be able to prioritize activities, solve problems and build relationships with a variety of key stakeholders, including contacts in IT and Engineering.
In addition, in order to be an outstanding Advanced Manufacturing Controls Engineer, you will:
- Bring a strong sense of urgency to our fast-paced, high volume environment.
- Remain calm under pressure.
- Develop good working relationships with contacts at all plants and facilities.
- Earn the trust and respect of your co-workers.
- Remain flexible and adaptable as priorities change.
- Continuously build your knowledge of the equipment.
- Have the ability to take any situation and turn it to your advantage.
About UsDakkota Integrated Systems was formed in 2001 to create a minority contract supplier that could thrive in a fast-paced, cost-competitive environment to support automotive original equipment manufacturers. We have excelled at delivering quality, process control and innovative solutions for warranty and sustainability concerns to address our customers’ needs.
Outstanding customer service and agility have propelled Dakkota from one facility with one customer to 13 facilities with GM, Ford, Chrysler, and many other customers in 13 years, earning launch and supplier partner awards along the way. Dakkota was among the first automotive suppliers to be awarded complete interior integration programs for General Motors. We dedicate resources to each new program and co-locate with our customers for a fully integrated approach.
Our in-house capabilities include:
- Extensive use of proven engineering disciplines: DFMEA, GD&T, FEA, VE/VA, and PFMEA
- Development of assembly tooling and fixtures
- Packaging development and validation for complete systems, including customer-directed components
Our vision and culture are firmly based on our high regard for our customers and solid respect for our employees. Dakkota strives to be considered to be one of the best places to work in North America, to maintain our reputation for best-in-class customer service, and to be known as a company that is “built to last.”
Video: the latest robotic loading process at Dakkota Windsor demonstrates the company’s commitment to staying on the leading edge.