The RequirementsTo be a strong fit for this opportunity you will have:
- A minimum of two years of college or technical training; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- At least three years of experience in materials, quality, or engineering. Automotive industry experience is highly preferred but not required.
- Experience working in an Engineering Change Management System.
- Above average knowledge of manufacturing processes and products; including material flow and supplier development.
- Proven communication skills; both written and verbal.
- Proficiency in software programs utilized: Microsoft Word and Microsoft Outlook
- Advanced knowledge of Microsoft Excel spreadsheet creation and utilization.
- Familiarity with industry systems such as CMMS, Worldwide Engineering Release System (WERS), VPP, etc. is preferred.
- Program management experience and the ability to develop and create processes.
- Established organizational skills and attention to detail in an administrative systems environment.
- Strong analytical abilities.
- Excellent attention to detail and strong problem solving skills.
- The ability to thrive in a fast-paced environment.
- Leadership skills and the ability to communicate changes in a meeting.
- A valid driver’s license.
The RoleReporting to the Materials Manager, as the Engineering Change Coordinator, you will serve as a liaison between our customer, Ford Motor Company, and the Dakkota Product Engineering team. You will communicate with Ford and use their system to check for new model changes, running changes and more. You will participate in a variety of customer meetings to review changes and modifications and drive synergy between the client and our team internally.
This is a role that combines both collaboration and the ability to work independently and autonomously. You’ll partner with Engineers, Program Managers, Production Planners, Launch Managers, and others to ensure everyone understands the changes and is aware of the changes happening with part components.
More specifically, your key areas of responsibility will be to:
- Maintain Engineering Change Management Tracking system.
- Maintain engineering change document control requirements and filing of active and obsolete engineering records.
- Attend Engineering Change meetings and conduct engineering change meetings, as required.
- Communicate Engineering Change issues, which may jeopardize the status of a program to Management, as required.
- Coordinate and obtain revision records for engineering changes.
- Follow-up on Engineering Change deliverables progress and timeliness in support of Program Manager.
- Follow up with other department activities to ensure engineering releases and changes are covered by necessary documentation and executed according to timing requirements.
- Maintains diversity spend documentation and customer submissions.
- Foster teamwork between all disciplines.
- Document all activities as required.
- Adhere to all company guidelines for Emergency Evacuation to ensure employee safety.
- Manage any additional responsibility deemed necessary by management.
Your limits of authority will be to:
- Advise Department Manager of those situations that may pose a significant risk to the program, product assurance, facilities, employee safety or customer satisfaction results.
- Initiate actions to prevent the occurrence of any nonconformance relating to product, process & systems.
- Identify and record any problems relating to the product, process or system.
- Initiate, recommend or provide solutions through the appropriate channels and verify implementation.
- Control further processing and delivery of nonconforming product until the deficiency is corrected.
- Initiate internal change requests in appropriate databases.
Why DakkotaVisible, strategic impact
The engineering changes you will oversee are absolutely critical to the prosperity of each and every program, so your successes will be noticed. You will gain a broad view of our engineering operations and build on your skills, setting you up to chart a career along multiple paths in Dakkota.
Once you join us, you will go through our Dakkota University Training program, which includes curriculum on safety, our vision and culture, and departmental and company training. Additionally, Dakkota has a generous tuition assistance program in which we pay for classes up front. Assistance is available to expand your skills and, if you desire, improve your career opportunities.
Driven by values
Dakkota CEO Andra Rush has created companies that do more than generate profit: they impact the local community and economy by providing training and putting Americans to work. Rush was honored by President Obama in his State of the Union address in January 2014, along with GM CEO Mary Barra, for demonstrating the "strength of our work ethic and the scope of our dreams."
Building community, creating jobs
At Dakkota, we strive to enhance the communities where we live and work by being environmentally and socially responsible and ensuring fair and equitable employment. We provide multiple opportunities for employees to make a positive impact on their community by devoting volunteer hours and resources to local charities, as you can see in the pictures here. We're always looking for new ways to make a difference. Our employees have supported organizations like the United Way, Salvation Army, and Autism Speaks, as well as local food banks and schools.
You will find a collaborative culture at Dakkota in which people enjoy working together toward common goals. In fact, we have vision and culture committees to help clarity and communicate those values. We are also strongly committed to diversity and have been awarded the Michigan Minority Supplier Development Console (MMSDC) Supplier of the Year Award the last three years. We also celebrate with birth announcements, seasonal picnics and parties, employee service awards, and more.
Awards and accolades
Dakkota is a highly respected, award-winning company. A few of our more recent accolades:
- 2016 Michigan Minority Supplier of the Year (MMSDC)
- 2015 National Minority Supplier of the Year (NMSDC)
- 2015 GM Supplier of the Year
- 2014 Michigan Minority Supplier of the Year (MMSDC)
- 2014 GM Supplier Quality Excellence Award
- And many others
In addition to a competitive salary and discretionary bonus potential, we offer excellent benefits. Our benefits include comprehensive and affordable medical, dental, and vision insurance programs; a 401(k) plan with company match; flexible spending accounts; company-paid employee life insurance and short-term disability insurance; paid holidays and vacations and more.
Keys to SuccessTo excel in this role you will be self-motivated, driven and eager to learn and expand your skill set. If you don’t have automotive industry experience, you’ll need to get up to speed on systems, processes and workflows that are unique to this space. You’ll have the resources and support of an experienced Manager and a company that is dedicated to the ongoing growth and advancement of its employees.
Additionally, the ideal candidate for this role will be a strong communicator and partner who can drive excellence in customer service related to the engineering function.
In addition, in order to be an outstanding Production Launch Manager, you will:
- Maintain a strong sense of urgency.
- Remain flexible and adaptable as priorities change.
- Bring a proactive approach and the ability to "think on your feet."
- Keep a constant eye out for opportunities to improve processes and efficiencies.
About UsDakkota Integrated Systems was formed in 2001 to create a minority contract supplier that could thrive in a fast-paced, cost-competitive environment to support automotive original equipment manufacturers. We have excelled at delivering quality, process control and innovative solutions for warranty and sustainability concerns to address our customers' needs.
Outstanding customer service and agility have propelled Dakkota from one facility with one customer to 13 facilities with GM, Ford, Chrysler, and many other customers in 13 years, earning launch and supplier partner awards along the way. Dakkota was among the first automotive suppliers to be awarded complete interior integration programs for General Motors. We dedicate resources to each new program and co-locate with our customers for a fully integrated approach.
Our in-house capabilities include:
- Extensive use of proven engineering disciplines: DFMEA, GD&T, FEA, VE/VA, and PFMEA
- Development of assembly tooling and fixtures
- Packaging development and validation for complete systems, including customer-directed components
Our vision and culture are firmly based on our high regard for our customers and solid respect for our employees. Dakkota strives to be considered to be one of the best places to work in North America, to maintain our reputation for best-in-class customer service, and to be known as a company that is "built to last."