The RequirementsTo be a good fit for this Quality Manager opportunity you will have:
- 5+ years of experience in a Quality Engineering capacity within a Tier One Automotive Manufacturing environment, ideally delivering suspensions and/or interiors
- A 4-year degree in a manufacturing related curriculum, ASQ Certification as a Quality Engineer, or the equivalent combination of education and experience
- At least 2 years of supervisory experience and success managing a Quality team; the ideal candidate will be skilled at assessing strengths, identifying gaps and coaching / developing individual team members & a top-notch team
- Familiarity with Ford quality tools and reporting, SIM, FCSD Quality Issue Management, MSA, and warranty reporting.
- Excellent technical skills, including:
- Effective command of Failure Mode & Effects Analysis (FMEA) / control plan tools
- Strong experience with statistical tools including Gage R&R, process capabilities, and statistical analysis
- Experience managing 3rd party external audit requirements including ISO, TS, and IATF
- Familiarity with torque strategies
- Working knowledge of and experience with core tools (AIAG)
- A process orientation and a track record of successfully implementing processes and procedures
- Outstanding problem-solving skills combined with experience in root cause analysis and corrective action implementation
- SPC knowledge
- Computer proficiency and familiarity with MS Office (Word, Excel, etc.)
- Strong ability to coach and mentor your team to meet and exceed expectations, and reach their professional and career goals
- Proven strong leadership skills and the ability to establish trust-based relationships between and among management, staff and customers
- Outstanding communication skills with the ability to create strong lines of communication among management, staff and customers
- An understanding of the functions and complexities of various departments within a plant and how they interact/work together
- A committed and disciplined approach to safety
- ASQ Quality Engineer Certification
- Knowledge of torque tools with static and dynamic strategies
- Experience with statistical software such as Minitab
- Experience working in a JIT or the even faster build-to-broadcast environment
- Exposure to Lean methodologies
- Experience developing and implementing processes and procedures
- Experience in union environments
The RoleRole Overview
As Quality Manager, you will report to the Plant Manager and supervise a Quality program that includes 3 Engineers, 3 Customer Quality Liaisons who facilitate communication between the customer and internal teams, and a Quality Supervisor overseeing a team of 6 Quality Coordinators. The team includes seasoned professionals as well as those in the earlier stages of their careers. Your mission will be to drive quality in complex systems through problem-solving, root cause identification, continuous improvement, scrap reduction, and a reduction in customer complaints. In addition to your daily responsibilities, you and your team will spend a good deal of time preparing for the launch, which will include a good deal of change.
Details & Responsibilities
This is a hands-on role and we’ll look to you to get out from behind the desk, get involved in day-to-day investigations and work side-by-side with the Engineers and production workforce. You’ll engage in coaching, mentoring and building rapport with your team, cultivating a collaborative and communicative environment that promotes product and process excellence, and builds upon the strengths of individual employees. You’ll take a proactive approach to managing key deliverables and heading off possible issues before they grow into problems. When there is a problem, you’ll ensure the team investigates it, identifies the root cause, and implements processes that ensure the problem does not recur.
More specifically, you will:
- Lead, manage and mentor the general performance and the continual development of the Quality Department; you’ll develop plans to improve the skills of each person in the department and monitor overall effectiveness
- Oversee the execution of all corrective actions, and monitor, report and improve customer satisfaction performance (PPMs, PRRs, NCTs, QRs, etc.)
- Provide leadership to all departments with respect to internal problem-solving activity.
- Implement and maintain internal product and process reporting systems and provide data driven problem solving / continual improvement systems.
- Lead and maintain PPAP /APQP deliverables to ensure internal, customer and AIAG requirements are met; this will include ensuring the documentation is accurate, organized, posted, maintained and followed consistently
- Ensure all product specifications are met with respect to fit, finish, durability and appearance, including:
- Monitoring and reporting out on company performance with respect to key product and process characteristics
- Ensuring plans are in place and performance improvements are ongoing with respect to KPCs
- Ensure internal and customer databases are current and maintained
- Ensure that compulsory certification marks are kept and used appropriately for finished, non-conforming and changed products
- Ensure notification to the certification body for changed products that use the compulsory certification mark
- Serve as the Customer Representative with regards to quality concerns from a plant level
- Support initiatives to improve internal performance as it relates to scrap, downtime, efficiency, and FTQ
- Assume overall responsibility for the supply base performance, including supplier visits and audits, as required
- Document all activities as required
- Handle any additional responsibility deemed necessary by management
Why Join DakkotaDakkota Integrated Systems offers a unique, world-class culture where people enjoy working and building their careers. We don’t just care about the work, we care about the individuals doing the work and take steps to nurture the whole person via our healthy family atmosphere, employee growth and development programs, community service opportunities, comprehensive benefits and so much more. At Dakkota, you will enjoy:
Impact and Visibility
In Chicago, our quality program is evolving and we believe a strong leader can make a good thing even better through team development and a proactive approach. We understand that quality impacts the bottom line, so the results you drive will get the attention of senior leaders.
Elbowroom to Thrive
You’ll have support when you need it, but we’ll expect you to assume ownership and achieve goals independently. You’ll get to be hands-on, driving results right on the plant floor.
In addition to a competitive salary and bonus incentive program, we offer comprehensive benefits. Our benefits include comprehensive and affordable medical, dental, prescription, and vision insurance programs; a 401(k) plan with company match; flexible spending accounts; tuition assistance; in-house training; company-paid employee life insurance and short-term disability insurance; voluntary employee life insurance and long-term disability insurance; voluntary spousal/dependent life insurance; paid holidays; and paid vacations.
Dakkota CEO Andra Rush has created companies that do more than generate profits: they impact the local community and economy by providing training and putting Americans to work. Rush was honored by President Obama in his State of the Union address in January 2014, along with GM CEO Mary Barra, for demonstrating the "strength of our work ethic and the scope of our dreams."
Building community, creating jobs
At Dakkota, we strive to enhance the communities where we live and work by being environmentally and socially responsible and ensuring fair and equitable employment. We provide multiple opportunities for employees to make a positive impact on their community by devoting volunteer hours and resources to local charities, as you can see in the pictures here. We're always looking for new ways to make a difference. Our employees have supported organizations like the United Way, Salvation Army, and Autism Speaks, as well as local food banks and schools.
Great environment -- you will find a collaborative culture at Dakkota in which people enjoy working together toward common goals. In fact, we have vision and culture committees to help clarify and communicate those values. We are also strongly committed to diversity and have been awarded the Michigan Minority Supplier Development Console (MMSDC) Supplier of the Year Award the last three years. We also celebrate with birth announcements, seasonal picnics and parties, employee service awards, and more.
Keys to SuccessAs Quality Manager your technical expertise will be essential, but your leadership and interpersonal finesse will also be paramount, especially early on. The team needs a leader who can be trusted to bring out the best in team members and ensure everyone has the training and motivation to work to their optimal potential. At the same time, they need a strong leader who can set clear expectations and who is able to aptly steer quality operations to meet short- and long-term goals. That doesn’t mean taking a confrontational stance – a heavy-handed approach won’t work here. It means gaining buy-in and creating a team environment where everyone pulls together to meet goals and objectives. You will create the glue that binds the team as a cohesive and efficient unit.
At the same time, you’ll need to build and maintain relationships with people in all areas of Dakkota, as well as with key customer contacts. The stronger those relationships, the easier it will be to work through issues, drive improvements and meet objectives.
Ours is a fast-paced, high-energy plant and it will be important that you have the disposition to manage the stress without displacing that stress onto your team. If you have a JIT background, that will give you an inkling of the pace of a build to broadcast environment. Build to broadcast makes the JIT pace look leisurely. You must be able to thrive, lead and think quickly in this environment.
If you’re the person we’re looking for, you’ll be able to hit the ground running, be hands-on, and be ready to get out on the floor every day. You’ll have an eye for quality and the skill to look for systemic improvements. You’ll know you’re hitting the mark when you can point to positive changes created under your watch. Success indicators could include, but aren't limited to:
- An increase in customer satisfaction and reduction in customer concerns
- Taking ownership of plant quality systems, including assembling line defect tracking, audit tracking, etc.
- A reduction in scrap
- A motivated, efficient team
About DakkotaDakkota Integrated Systems was formed in 2001 to create a minority contract supplier that could thrive in a fast-paced, cost-competitive environment to support automotive original equipment manufacturers. We have excelled at delivering quality, process control and innovative solutions for warranty and sustainability concerns to address our customers’ needs.
Outstanding customer service and agility have propelled Dakkota from one facility with one customer to 13 facilities with GM, Ford, Chrysler, and many other customers in 13 years, earning launch and supplier partner awards along the way. Dakkota was among the first automotive suppliers to be awarded complete interior integration programs for General Motors. We dedicate resources to each new program and co-locate with our customers for a fully integrated approach.
Our in-house capabilities include:
- Extensive use of proven engineering disciplines: DFMEA, GD&T, FEA, VE/VA, and PFMEA
- Development of assembly tooling and fixtures
- Packaging development and validation for complete systems, including customer-directed components
Our vision and culture are firmly based on our high regard for our customers and solid respect for our employees. Dakkota strives to be considered to be one of the best places to work in North America, to maintain our reputation for best-in-class customer service, and to be known as a company that is "built to last."