The RequirementsTo be a good fit for the Materials Supervisor opportunity you should have:
- A high school diploma or equivalent required; a 2-year associate's degree or the equivalent combination of education and experience preferred
- 5+ years of experience supervising a team in a high volume-manufacturing environment; preferably with an automotive industry supplier; ideally, a Tier I
- Traffic and logistics background; experience with shipping and receiving; operations experience is a plus
- Strong computer skills including basic MS Office ability; experience with MRP systems; Trans4M and/or Ford CMMS preferred
- Knowledge of Ford’s CMMS software; experience working in a JIT environment
- Good technical understanding of processes and machinery
- Solid safety training with a commitment to safety
- Experience in union environments is preferred but not required
- A valid driver's license and clean driving record
- Flexibility to work a rotating shift schedule; ability to travel up to 5%
- Proven leadership skills; the ability to coach, motivate, praise, discipline, etc. employees
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- The ability to multitask and handle high-stress situations in a fast-paced, JIT environment
- Demonstrated leadership skills
- Excellent organizational skills with strong attention to detail and follow-through
- Strong problem-solving skills, a proactive approach and the ability to "think on your feet"
- The ability to work independently and as a strong team member
Qualified candidates will be required to pass a background check and skills assessments.
Role OverviewAt our 530,000 sq.ft. Brownstown plant, we do assembly and sequencing and provide overhead assembly systems, component sequencing, bulk and small lot metering, container management and part kitting for Ford Motors Corporation. We offer ship-to- broadcast service, which is faster than JIT, so you have to be comfortable working under pressure and calmly motivating your team.
Shift teams have between 10 and 20 materials handlers with a mix of those new in their careers, mid-career and seasoned veterans. On the whole, the teams still need a talented supervisor to coach and mentor them to deliver optimal performance. You will be responsible for ensuring your team is successfully meeting their responsibilities in a timely and accurate manner, following defined processes and procedures, always working safely etc. It will be your responsibility to keep materials moving and on time throughout your shift.
Role OverviewOn a typical shift, you will arrive a bit early to review notes from the previous shift and your staffing levels. When the shift begins you'll have a team meeting to review necessary information from the previous shift and discuss the shift's workload. Throughout the course of the shift, you will supervise your team, work with production to stay up to date on shipping levels, track incoming and outgoing trucks, including extra trucks added and those canceled, and effectively communicate with internal partners and the customer as needed. More specifically, you will:
- Supervise Material Handlers in support of shipping, receiving, and production plant-wide.
- Assist production and the Material Planners with on-time shipments.
- Assist the Materials Manager in meeting planned budget.
- Support production requirements and meet budgeted overtime by scheduling team members appropriately.
- Manage special assignments, as directed by the Materials Manager, that include, but are not limited to, inventory control issues, cost savings, and layout improvement for material flow, etc.
- Ensure trucks are maintained and shipment windows are met per customer requirements.
- Provide employee reviews for Material Handlers; take appropriate disciplinary action as required.
- Assist in and help ensure completion of all facility special project assignments.
- Ensure a smooth transition between shifts.
- Coordinate with Production to ensure daily schedule shipments will be met.
- Advise Department Manager of those situations that may pose a significant risk to the program, product assurance, facilities, employee safety or customer satisfaction results.
- Initiate actions to prevent the occurrence of any nonconformance relating to product, process & systems.
- Identify and record any problems relating to the product, process or system; control further processing and delivery of nonconforming product until the deficiency is corrected.
- Initiate, recommend and/or provide solutions through the appropriate channels; verify implementation as appropriate.
- Ensure plant housekeeping is neat and organized with Shift Supervisors.
- Ensure all paperwork for shipping (Bills of Lading, Manual Shippers, etc.) is completed.
- Oversee truck drivers and schedules appropriately.
- Ensure all QS-9000/TS16949 requirements are maintained.
- Develop appropriated packaging methods where appropriate.
- Coordinate appropriate material rack storage for production/customer requirements.
- Communicate/coordinate with customers when appropriate (i.e. customer obsolescence claims, etc.).
- Document all activities as required.
- Adhere to all company guidelines for emergency evacuation to ensure employee safety.
Why Dakkota?Mentor and learn -- not only will you make an impact on your shift, with your strong experience you can assist other Materials Supervisors as they learn and grow their skills. Likewise, you'll work alongside others who can assist with your professional growth and you learn through cross-training.
Excellent compensation -- in addition to a competitive salary and bonus incentive program, we offer comprehensive benefits. Our benefits include comprehensive and affordable medical, dental, prescription, and vision insurance programs; a 401(k) plan with company match; flexible spending accounts; tuition assistance; in-house training; company-paid employee life insurance and short-term disability insurance; voluntary employee life insurance and long-term disability insurance; voluntary spousal/dependent life insurance; paid holidays; and paid vacations.
Value-driven company -- Dakkota CEO Andra Rush has created companies that do more than generate profit: they impact the local community and economy by providing training and putting Americans to work. Rush was honored by President Obama in his State of the Union address in January 2014, along with GM CEO Mary Barra, for demonstrating the "strength of our work ethic and the scope of our dreams."
Building community, creating jobs -- at Dakkota we strive to enhance the communities where we live and work by being environmentally and socially responsible and ensuring fair and equitable employment. We provide multiple opportunities for employees to make a positive impact on their community by devoting volunteer hours and resources to local charities, as you can see in the pictures here. We're always looking for new ways to make a difference. Our employees have supported organizations like the United Way, Salvation Army, and Autism Speaks, as well as local food banks and schools.
Great environment -- you will find a collaborative culture at Dakkota in which people enjoy working together toward common goals. In fact, we have vision and culture committees to help clarify and communicate those values. We are also strongly committed to diversity and have been awarded the Michigan Minority Supplier Development Console (MMSDC) Supplier of the Year Award the last three years. We also celebrate with birth announcements, seasonal picnics and parties, employee service awards, and more.
Keys to SuccessTo excel in this role you will have the interpersonal and leadership skills to lead diverse personalities. On the whole you should use a collaborative and motivating approach, but at times you will need to be assertive.
The pace is fast and there will be a lot to monitor and handle. For example, you'll need to keep an eye on production to manage your scheduling. If an issue arises, you'll need to reach out to the appropriate people ASAP. Some tasks can be delegated, while others you will handle directly.
In addition, in order to be an outstanding Materials Supervisor, you will:
- Bring safety awareness to all that you and your team do
- Bring a strong sense of urgency to our fast-paced, high volume environment
- Manage stress well
- Pay close attention to details while also grasping the big picture and how the details fit into it
- Manage multiple activities and priorities effectively
- Remain flexible and adaptable as priorities change
- Keep a constant eye out for opportunities to cut costs or improve processes and efficiencies
About UsDakkota Integrated Systems was formed in 2001 to create a minority contract supplier that could thrive in a fast-paced, cost-competitive environment to support automotive original equipment manufacturers. We have excelled at delivering quality, process control and innovative solutions for warranty and sustainability concerns to address our customers’ needs.
Outstanding customer service and agility have propelled Dakkota from one facility with one customer to 13 facilities with GM, Ford, Chrysler, and many other customers in 13 years, earning launch and supplier partner awards along the way. Dakkota was among the first automotive suppliers to be awarded complete interior integration programs for General Motors. We dedicate resources to each new program and co-locate with our customers for a fully integrated approach.
Our in-house capabilities include:
- Extensive use of proven engineering disciplines: DFMEA, GD&T, FEA, VE/VA, and PFMEA
- Development of assembly tooling and fixtures
- Packaging development and validation for complete systems, including customer-directed components
Our vision and culture are firmly based on our high regard for our customers and solid respect for our employees. Dakkota strives to be considered to be one of the best places to work in North America, to maintain our reputation for best-in-class customer service, and to be known as a company that is "built to last."
Video: the May 2017 edition of Driving Dakkota, our video blog, provides an overview of our company's current activities including Business Updates, Great Ideas and Community Service.